Sunday, November 20, 2022

A FEW GREEN VIEWS OF ITALY

 I recently had five weeks in Europe and the first and last week of my trip was in Italy.  I have been to Italy before, so this was a chance to go visit areas there that I had missed out on before. Places like Ravenna with its early Christian mosaics and the ancient port of Rome, Ostia Antica.   In Rome, I wanted to visit Borghese Park, a big green space on the map of Rome that I had not seen on the last trip.  I must say I was a bit disappointed with the place.  Wonderful big old trees and it may have been very grand once, but now it looked worn and dusty with lots of litter not picked up.  Visiting the street markets is a pleasure in any Italian town and I am always happy to just explore down lanes and alleys without knowing where I am going and wonder what it would be like to live there.  I was impressed by the farmland around Ravenna.  Miles and miles of flat fields in concentrated use.  Lots of apple orchards and packing sheds for preparing the apples for market.  Here a few, sort of garden related, photos.


Entrance avenue at Borghese Park, Rome



The Hippodrome in Rome where they used to hold chariot races.
These days it is a popular space for large crowds of Roman citizens
to gather on important occasions. 



My favorite tree in Italy....the flat-topped Italian pines.
They are shown here in front of the Vittoriano monument in Rome.



A plant filled balcony in Rome.



The ruins of Ostia Antica are in a lovely park like setting 
out on the coast from Rome.



Hot peppers for sale in the Venice market.



Endives waiting to be sold at the Venice market.



A garden in Ravenna


Aloha

No comments:

Post a Comment